Sunday, February 12, 2012

sad news...

     I've got sad news to report. We lost a chick this week. I think she got piled on by her sibs and probably suffocated. This is the first chick I've lost, she was black and one of the Americauna/Buffs. That brings my chick total to twelve now. I do better now that I did in the past when I lost a bird, I am learning that it happens sometimes and I try not to take it too personal. I know that while my hens are with me that they are living the good life with lots of attention and special treats. That makes me feel better. The others are doing great and are beginning to feather in. One chick in particular is starting to stand out from the others. He/She isn't the largest chick, isn't the prettiest colored chick and is actually rather plain looking. But everytime I put my hand into the brooder it always approaches me. I'm thinking this little chick could be an up and coming rooster....it's the only one who approaches me with curiosity. I'm hoping that it's a hen instead. I adore friendly hens! As for my three girls outside, they are doing great with all of the cold weather that we have had lately. I added fresh bedding today since they have been kicking so much against the door. I took them hot eggs and corn for breakfast this morning when it was only 17 degrees outside and they had already laid thier eggs for the day. They are good girls!
     I have also been working on a craft project this week. I saw this idea on the Nate Berkus Show. Instead of having a pigeon type of bird I decided on (what else?) Chickens! These pictures sit above my desk and I love looking up and seeing them everyday. I've never been all that crafty, but I like getting in touch with that side of me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment